Sunday, January 29, 2012

Schedule Regular Faucet Inspections

I recently came down into the basement to get some work done and notice a dripping noise. Since it was raining that day I did not pay too much attention to it. A day later, I could still hear the dripping noise yet it was no longer raining. After a quick search I found that the water was dripping. Who knows how long this had been occurring. If I had not gone down into the basement that day the dripping faucet could have gone unnoticed for months. An acquaintance of mine had a similar though far worst experience. His mother lived by herself, in a home with an unfinished basement. She never visits the basement without reason. On receiving her water bill she noticed a huge increase in the amount she must pay, so she visits her basement, and there she finds her water heater with huge water leak. Needless to say she was lucky. Her unfinished basement had actually allowed the water to drain away, the damage to her house could have been substantial. As for my water bill, I have not received it yet but I hope any increase would be minor.

As you can tell, if we my acquaintances mom and myself both regularly scheduled checks of our faucets, toilets or water heater, we could have caught the problems earlier. I do check the toilets and faucets we use on a daily basis but, regularly scheduled visits to those you do not regularly use is important. I have now added this to my calendar, to regularly check every three months all faucets, both inside, outside, and in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment